Website design price in Malaysia can be really tricky. But to be blunt, a one page website is charged between RM 1,000 to RM 1,500. A company website with about 5 pages, costs around RM 2,500. An eCommerce website cost around RM 4,000 and above. A full portal (like government can go as much as RM 100,000 and above).
Why is there difference in Website Design Price?
Every website has a micro goals and one large goal. Naturally if you just want to display some basic information about your company, you can get the cheapest option. The general rule of thumb is; the bigger the goal (and more micro goals) the more expensive your website will be.
Let’s look at the types of website
- One Page website – as what it means, only one page website. This website is suitable for small businesses like print shop, runcit (sundry shop), barbershop.
Market Acceptable Rate: Starts at RM 1,500
Completion Time: 2-3 days.
- Company website – a step higher than one-page website. Nothing too complex, just structured content according to pages. These pages are also used to differentiate between products and services.
Market Acceptable Rate: Starts at RM 2,500
Completion Time: 2-3 weeks.
- eCommerce Website – these type of website can be really complex because there’s a lot of functions that is important and we are dealing with actual money (digital actually) with lots of product. The price scales up really quickly as more features are added onto the system.
Market Acceptable Rate: Starts at RM 4,000
Completion Time: 5-8 weeks.
- Government Portal – These are highly complex site that requires their own hardware. Why are they so expensive? Because they contain data that belongs to the citizens, losing these data would really be costly. Imagine if someone accidentally your citizenship, how much do you think that will cost?
Completion Time: 10 weeks above.
Note: This is just pricing for coding and hosting. Does not include photography or copywriting.
What about the indirect cost of building a website?
These cost that you might forget to even consider.
Let’s start with the basics, domain, hosting, CMS (plugin), themes, man-hour rates.
- Domain – Depends where you get it, but it shouldn’t be more than RM 150 per year.
- Hosting – The cheapest starts at RM 50 per year and scales up quickly as you require more CPU and RAM
- CMS Plugins & Theme – Normally these charges are absorbed into the web development costing. 1 plugins cost around USD 50, so does a theme.
- Man-hour – Additional resource required to design a certain part of the page starts at RM 50 per hour and higher as the skills increases.
- Photography – Stock photos of your brand or business
- Graphic Design – Sometimes these are not included into the design, they can be small elements that compliments a page.
- Copywriting – These the write up that goes to a page. Not many web designers can provide you with this service. A good copywriter cost around RM 300 per page.
- Maintenance – These are services that goes to your website. Kind of like a car, requiring maintenance every now and then to ensure it runs smoothly
How come some web designers are more expensive than the other?
Coding and designing is just some aspect of the website. There are other aspect that we have to consider such as copywriting, photography, the rule of third, loading speed performance, code optimization, security, browser compatibility and many more.
If you are on a tight budget and don’t really see the point of having a website then it’s best for you to just start with a junior web designer or a company which just started a business. Best yet, just use something free like Facebook Page, Blogger.com or WordPress.com.
If you’re a big business with revenue of RM 1 million and above then you have to hire a digital marketing agency. They can help you build a website as well as a marketing campaign and design the user experience before the customer arrives at the website and all the way to the sales department.
Ultimately nothing good ever came out from building the website yourself or by an intern.
What is the acceptable web design price for 2017?
The acceptable price for web design shoot depend on these four things.
- Platform and Maintenance – This can be your CMS or a basic HTML flat file. Using a CMS can be costly. And because it’s a system it might break down from time to time so you will need to maintain them regularly and there is a cost associated to it.
- Copywriting – Good copywriting can help to sell more of your products or services. The poor ones will just flush your money down the bowl. One thing you have to be aware about copywriting is not too focus on you, there should be a higher purpose, such as, how will your product meet your customers life better, how you can solve your customer problems or compliments their workflow.
- Pictures/ photos – While using iPhone is adequate, hiring a professional is ideal. These can act as your stock photos or if you are really lazy, you can just buy these images. But these stock photos doesn’t really help you to stand out and be different compared to others.
- Results – Results can be your traffic or the number of conversion on website. It’s important for you to track your online efforts and where this leads you. “You can’t manage what you don’t measure”. Take a good look at your statistics and improve with these stats.
Final Words for Web Design Price
Real website designer don’t wants to rip you off, they are the digital artist, they want to make cool websites and win awards. Their prices may differ from one another depending how good they are when it comes design, development and marketing. Try to negotiate if they seem a little pricey.
From us, Good luck!